Every year on my birthday, I like to reflect on the previous years. This year in honor of turning 23, I am sharing a list of 23 things I’ve learned in my lifetime. Here’s to another year of learning, growing, and working towards my dreams!
23 Things I’ve Learned in My 23 Years
- It is more important to be kind than to be right.
- Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
- See your commitments through.
- Consistency is more important than perfection.
- Put yourself in someone else’s shoes.
- Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
- Learn to see both sides of the issue.
- Even if you don’t respect someone’s opinion, respect the person.
- Surround yourself with people who hold you accountable and push you to become the best version of yourself.
- Set a clear path to achieve your goals.
- Hold yourself accountable.
- Don’t lower your standards, lengthen your patience.
- Cry on the inside like a winner. (but it’s okay to feel things and cry)
- You are the sum of the five people you spend the most time around, so choose those people wisely.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- It is more important to be at peace with yourself and with God than to be praised and popular in this life.
- Be the best you that you can be. From body image to career path, focus on becoming the strongest, healthiest, most successful version of you possible.
- Problems are about perspective. Focusing on yourself and problems often leads to feeling sad or depressed—instead, look at the world around you, serve and love other people.
- Comparison is the bullet train to discontent.
- The grass really isn’t greener on the other side of the fence (it’s usually astro turf). In the age of social media, it’s so easy to believe other people have it better than you. Do not compare your life to someone’s highlight reel.
- Honesty is fundamental for building trust and earning respect.
- Life is short, so live it in a meaningful way and love other people well.
- YOLF > YOLO = You Only Live Forever > You Only Live Once. I’m thankful that each day that goes by is one day closer to a perfect eternity and am grateful to cherish each day of life’s journey.
Looking for more inspiration and tips?
PS – Follow along on my Instagram, @graciehunt, for more of my daily life.